I just started reading a blog called Playgroups are No Place For Children and the title alone is pretty much enough to keep me coming back, but I also really like the posts! 🙂
The other day she posted a vlog called Mishmash dialect, give your dog a bone and that is right up my ally so I just decided to get over my insecurity and participate.
I’ve never vlogged before, but I thought that you may want a better image of the person behind the blog whether I’m a stranger or you haven’t seen me in a while.
Also, for all you non-jersians: I’m from NJ, so… I might be hoping I’ll kill a few preconceived notions about my “Joisy” accent too…
In the video, I’ll be saying the words listed below:
Aunt, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, Toilet, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Spitting image, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Syrup, Pajamas, Caught
* What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
* What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?
* What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
* What do you call gym shoes?
* What do you say to address a group of people?
* What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
* What do you call your grandparents?
* What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
* What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
* What is the thing you change the TV channel with?
Just as a forewarning: it’s late and I’m about to go to bed, so I’m tired and the lighting isn’t great, but the point is more to hear me anyway, so enjoy!
It would be really fun to see more of this, so please do it too and let me know if you do! Also, please leave comments… I’m curious to know what kind of accent you hear when you listen to me speak.
As for contributing elements to my dialect: I lived a majority of my life in central NJ, spent a few years in southern VA for school, lived about a year in NYC, and lived just under three years in the Denver area. I didn’t list any place I spent less than nine months in because I don’t feel they really affected my speech.